Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

My First Jo Malone Experience




Soooo....I have a confession. I secretly wish I was English. I cannot explain it entirely, but I just have this inner yearning to be a part of this place and culture. I know I am probably romanticizing some aspects in my head, but then again maybe I'm not. There is a poise and grace associated with the culture that I myself do not have, but wish to posses.  Not to mention, I would have access to some pretty amazing beauty products that are much more affordable than they are here in the U.S. ;)
I should also mention that I've never actually been to the Uk...but a girl can dream, right? I dream of one day living in a flat on the beach in Brighton....sigh.

Anyway, I have a point to this rambling, I really do!! I follow a bunch of beauty bloggers and YouTubers from the UK, and from time to time, they all rave about Jo Malone perfumes and about how there's something distinctively English about them. Ding ding! A bell goes off in my brain. If I cannot be English...maybe I can smell like I am? Well maybe that's not right... Either way, I knew I had to go and try these perfumes myself at my Local Bloomingdale's Jo Malone counter. I gathered some of my christmas money, finally able to afford one of these babies ('cause man are they expensive...).

What I did not know is that I was in for a whole 'Jo Malone Experience.' The Jo Malone line has seven different categories of scents which include: Fruity, Citrus, Floral, Spicy, Light Floral, Woody, and Cologne Intense. When I got to the counter, I was essentially bombarded by the sales lady with an offer to try every single scent there was. She was extremely friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable, though. One of the special things at Jo Malone is that their fragrances can be combined to achieve different effects (i.e. a fresher or warmer scent) or be worn on their own. My saleslady was very keen on telling me which scents went together best.

So after smelling a multitude of fragrances, I had to narrow it down in waves. Funnily enough, the three contenders I ended up with were ones from each the Fruity, Citrus, and Woody categories. The one I ended up purchasing was actually the one I was most interested in trying because of the research I had done. I purchased the Wood Sage and Sea Salt fragrance. While it is categorized as Woody, to me it is much more fresh (and each of my go-to fragrances are fresh, clean scents). You really can almost smell a salty beach in this one bottle of perfume.

I have heard the Jo Malone Fragrances fade quickly. For me, I can definitely tell that it becomes less intense, but I can still smell it for hours (and I literally cannot stop sniffing myself...). It is definitely more intense than all of my Philosophy perfumes (which don't get me wrong, I still adore).

I just wanted to add that the whole experience is so luxurious. From the way the salespeople present the fragrances, to the way they have you try combinations on your skin, it was all very impressive. The way my saleslady packaged the perfume with bows and tissue paper made me regret opening it for fear of ruining a masterpiece. She was so precise in even making sure the ends of the ribbon were angled perfectly. I received two samples as well which was unexpected and delightful to me!

I would definitely recommend buying the 30ml bottle instead of the larger one because it is a lot cheaper (still so expensive though...ack!). The way I see it, I can go out be able to try another Jo Malone fragrance for the price of one big bottle. And although I really shouldn't, I don't know if I can resist buying another. I have my eye on both the Earl Grey and Cucumber and Nectarine Blossom and Honey scents. I shall keep you posted if I crack and end up buying another...

You can explore all the Jo Malone scents and other products they have to offer here.

That's all for now folks!


No comments:

Post a Comment